Nutraceutical supplements are substances of natural origin capable of improving the state of health and to prevent the onset of various diseases.
But what does the term “nutraceutical” mean? How do these supplements work? What are the benefits?
Let's find out together.
Nutraceutical supplements: what they are
The term nutraceutical was introduced in the 80s by Dr.Stephen De Felice, who created this definition by combining the words "nutrition" and "pharmaceutical", precisely to indicate how the natural constituents present in foods or plants can be synthesized to generate drugs useful for preventing and treating certain diseases and to supply those essential metabolites, which may be lacking in normal diets.
Nutraceutical supplements are in summary the natural evolution of the classic food supplements.
We are talking about substances deriving from plants and foods that can be integrated you in a diet both through the assumption of functional foods enriched with nutraceutical substances and in the form of natural supplements in tablets or capsules such asnatural supplements ofProeon, leading Italian company in the sector based on constant research work aimed at developing products capable of promoting a healthier lifestyle.
Nutraceutical supplements are produced by an industrial process that ensures that all the beneficial nutrients are extracted from functional foods such as probiotics, antioxidants, polyunsaturated fatty acids (omega-3, omega-6), ascorbic acid, carnitine, bioflavonoids, vitamins, calcium, magnesium, fluorine, sodium, synco and enzymatic complexes.
Nutraceutical supplements: placing on the market
Nutraceutical supplements, like all food supplements, do not follow the typical path of traditional medicines, for which they are required various phases of experimentation that require many years of study before obtaining authorization for use in humans.
For the purposes of sale, for supplements, only a notification to the Ministry of Health is required, with the documentation relating to the raw material, the preparation process, the traditional use, the recommended methods of use, the possible interactions with other components of the product, the diet or with drugs.
This happens because the supplements have no therapeutic effect but only physiological: they support thenormal functioning of the organism.
In this regard, you should know thatquesti integratori non vanno assolutamente a sostituire una sana e corretta alimentazione né tantomeno ad essere un rimedio per uno stile di vita sregolato: they only serve to make up for certain nutritional deficiencies or to maintain a fair intake of certain nutrients at particular times.| ||146
Quali sono gli alimenti che li contengono?
Foods containing nutraceuticals known as "functional foods" are those which, in addition to their basic nutritional values, contain substances that regulate certain vital functions in capable of bringing physiological benefits to those who consume them
To be defined as functional food, it must also be easily available and not chemically processed and contain a beneficial component that distinguishes it from other foods and that is scientifically proven.|| |152
Eccoti alcuni pratici esempi:
- Red meats: they contain carnitine which is important in fat metabolism.
- Crustaceans: they contain glucosamine which is useful for fighting arthrosis.|| |156
- I pomodori e l’anguria: ricchi di licopene che aiuta a prevenire le malattie cardiovascolari
- Fruit, cabbage, spinach, eggs: they contain lutein which is important for eyesight
- Yogurt: rich in probiotics
- Potatoes: contain selenium
- Milk: rich in omega 3
Nutraceutical supplements: the benefits and when to take them|| |164
Come avrai capito, questi integratori aggiunti ad una dieta sana ed equilibrata, possono aiutare il nostro organismo a vivere meglio, riducendo il rischio di molte patologie.
Among their beneficial effects we have:
- Strengthening the immune system
- Preventing chronic diseases
- Retarding the aging process|| |171
- Regolarizzare le funzioni gastro-intestinali
- Bring benefits to the eyesight
- Prevent fatigue and tiredness during physical activity
- Reduce the risk of onset of cardiovascular or degenerative pathologies
- Improve any imperfections such as skin aging or hair loss
- Make up for nutritional deficiencies in particular phases such as pregnancy or menopause
Another positive feature of nutraceutical supplements is that they allow the simultaneous intake of several substances which generate a sort of synergy between them which also facilitates their absorption.
But when it is necessary take them?
Nutraceutical supplements can be particularly useful in some situations:
- Low-calorie diet: in this case they can help us take the nutrients we need to reach our ideal physical shape.
- Period of stress:they support the functional of the body in particularly stressful periods, counteracting physical tiredness and relieving mental tiredness
- Intense physical activity:they help us feel more energetic during intense training sessions.
Remember that, as with all supplements, exceeding intakes is not healthy: you must always respect the daily dosages indicated on the packages or indicated by the doctor, as overdose does not lead to the enhancement of the desired effect but exposes you to the risk of organic malfunctions and possible side effects.